Raw Mexican Spiced Brownies
4 cups walnuts, *soaked for 6-8 hours and dehydrated
2/3 cup raisins
2/3 cup Medjool dates
2/3 cup cacoa powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
**2 tsp finely ground star anise
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Pinch of sea salt
2 tbsp water
1/2 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed to a liquid
2/3 cup cacao powder
1) Grind the walnuts in the food processor to the consistency of a meal, don’t over process
2) Add raisins and dates and process until fully combined
3) Add cacao powder, cinnamon, vanilla, star anise, and sea salt. Add the cayenne if you prefer some heat.
4) Transfer to a large mixing bowl when it is sticky and crumbly
5) Mix in the water with your hands
6) Spread dough into a 8 x 8-inch baking dish lined with parchment paper. Press in firmly with your hands.
1) Add the maple syrup first, then the coconut oil and the cacao powder in a blender. Blend until smooth.
2) Spread frosting over brownie base and chill at least 1-2 hours
3) Slice and serve.
Stores up to a week in the fridge and a month in the freezer
* It is not required for the walnuts to be soaked and dehydrated. If you don’t have a dehydrator with you, use as is.
** If you can’t find it ground, use a coffee grinder to grind up some whole pods untill it appears finely ground.
(From “Going Raw” by Judita Wignall)